Our Blog

Another great article from the Electrical Safety Council warning householders of the risks of DIY electrics. Don’t take the chance, call in a professional!

DIY errors cause half of all serious electric shocks in UK homes
Brits botching simple tasks and relying on YouTube to undertake major DIY work
Handy Andy joins the Electrical Safety Council’s call for ‘Dive in DIYers’ to think safety
Find a local registered electrician by searching the Electrical Safety Register

A study by the Electrical Safety Council (ESC) finds blundering DIYers across the UK are risking their lives and facing costly repairs through misplaced confidence in small jobs and even ‘having a go’ at tasks best left to the professionals.

The UK charity surveyed consumers and electricians and found that almost half of all severe electric shocks are caused by DIY attempts, with people confessing to such errors as cutting through power leads, drilling into wiring in walls and repairing electrical items that are still switched on.

Electricians say they are spending an increasing amount of time repairing such blunders and are concerned that ‘Dive-in DIYers’ are endangering themselves and their families. This is a serious concern – someone dies as a result of an electrical accident in their home every week in the UK, and electricity is the cause of 350,000 serious injuries each year, as well as half of all house fires.

Read the full article here: Don’t do DIY Electrics

Comments are closed.